International and Global PerspectivesCollege Nine’s theme, International and Global Perspectives, recognizes the importance of cultural competency and focuses on issues such as economic globalization, environmental degradation, human rights, and international and ethnic conflicts.
College Nine’s core course, International and Global Issues, addresses the college’s focus on identifying, analyzing, and solving issues at the international and global level while developing students’ writing, reading, oral presentation, and critical thinking skills.
Educational Enrichment and Extracurricular Opportunities
- Global Action is an optional two-credit class that explores current world events and provides information on ways to take action. Students can gain experience as teachers by enrolling in Teaching Global Action.
- The College Nine Leadership Certificate is awarded to active student participants in a series of leadership programs, workshops, and volunteer opportunities.
- The Service Learning Program offers opportunities to volunteer locally: Praxis arranges local volunteer work days, and Esprit de Corps provides credit for work at a local non-profit. The Alternative Spring Break (ASB) program allows students an intensive week long experience in the Santa Cruz community.
- The International Living Center, in the Colleges Nine and Ten apartments, offers juniors and seniors the opportunity to live with students from all over the world.
- The Practical Activism Conference is a dynamic one-day student-led event held every fall, featuring speakers, workshops, performances, hands-on activism activities, and various on and off campus organizations. This popular annual event is an excellent arena in which to develop tools and find allies for local and global change. Students gain leadership skills and experience by joining the planning group the preceding spring.
Housing and Dining
- Residence halls and apartment buildings house students in single, double, and triple rooms.
- Apartments are available to continuing and upper-division students, and have full kitchens, living rooms, and bathrooms. Ground-floor apartments have decks and upper apartments have private balconies.
- Housing Themes and Options at College Nine
- A dining hall and coffee bar are located at the college.