Summer Session Housing
Summer Session students live in the Merrill College residence halls and enjoy the opportunity to meet and interact with other college students from UC Santa Cruz and other campuses, cities, states, and countries.
The residence halls offer double (two-person), and a limited number of triple (three-person) and single (one-person) rooms with shared bathroom facilities and community space. Additional amenities include Internet access, cable television, computer/technical support, and laundry facilities.
Live-in residential staff provides community development activities and social programs throughout the Summer Session to create a sense of community among the residents.
Each residential student receives a Slug Points dining plan to be used exclusively at the Crown/Merrill dining hall. Slug Points is a declining balance plan where each point has a dining value of $1. The cost of each meal purchase is simply deducted from your dining plan. Slug Points are accessed with your student ID and are valid from the first day of the contract period through the last day of Summer Session.
The Crown/Merrill dining hall is conveniently located next to the residential buildings at Merrill, and the meal hours are specifically designed to best serve the busy schedule of summer session students.
To Apply for Summer Session Housing
The Summer Session Housing Application/Contract is available through Student Housing Online (studenthousing.ucsc.edu) beginning May 1. Priority will be given to students who submit a housing application before May 31.
How to Log In to Student Housing Online
- UCSC students must use a registered CruzID (UCSC email address) and blue password (email password) to log in.
- Visiting students (i.e. attending summer session only) who were not assigned a CruzID can log in using student ID and birthdate. (Note: visiting students must be enrolled in a Summer Session term and be assigned a seven-digit Student ID Number by the Summer Session Office in order to apply for housing.)
Billing and Payment
Once assigned to housing, room and board charges will be posted to your university billing account and an electronic billing statement will be generated. You can view your billing statement and account activity online through the Student Portal (my.ucsc.edu). Full payment must be received by the established due date. Late fees are assessed if payment is not posted to your account by the established due date. Failure to make full payment may also result in action being taken, including a hold on financial aid, enrollment and/or transcript holds, and termination of the right of occupancy.
Financial Aid: Any housing/dining balance not covered by financial aid awards is the responsibility of the student. Financial Aid recipients are advised to:
- Review and ensure all financial aid eligibility requirements have been met (financialaid.ucsc.edu/apply-receive/summer.html)
- Review a summary of financial aid award(s) with an adviser in the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
Transitional Housing is available to UCSC students who live on campus in spring quarter and need continuous housing between spring quarter and summer session. Eligible students may apply for spring transitional housing through Student Housing Online (studenthousing.ucsc.edu).
- Students approved for Spring Transitional Housing will be allowed to move to their summer session housing assignments starting at 4pm on Tuesday, June 16, 2015. In order to be allowed to stay in your current housing assignment until that time, you will need to login to Student Housing Online to complete a spring contract extension (available beginning May 23).
- Transitional Housing is also available to UCSC students who live in summer session housing (Session 2 or 10-week session) and also have a fall housing assignment. Eligible students may apply for fall transitional housing through Student Housing Online (studenthousing.ucsc.edu).